Monday, October 26, 2009

Scarab




The scarab beetle has one of the coolest shapes, in my opinion, in the bug world. I particularly love the abstracted shapes the Egyptians used in their depictions of the "sacred" bug. To show how consistent I am with my love of the shape, I'll let you know that my favorite view of this playing-card-beast is the bird's eye view, which is the most common view of the scarab beetle in both ancient and modern artforms and abstractions. It took forever to make. I love the legs--especially the back ones, I thought it was genius how I made the two back legs as one element, but still portrays the idea that there's two legs. I hate the head, but that's what I get for procrastinating, I suppose--though my teacher said that was what she liked, so if it pleases her, it pleases me.

No comments: